Hawker Hunter F.1 (WT651/C) [@ Newark Air Museum]
|From the same stable as the legendary WW2
the Hunter is regarded by many as the most graceful jet design ever to leave the
ground. The Hunter was from the era when the North American F-86 "Sabre" and
MiG-15 "Fagot" were taking part in history's first jet-versus-jet air battles
over Korea. Not only did the Hunter outlast them but it also stayed around
longer than many later aircraft. In a career spanning a quarter of a
century the Hunter equipped 30 RAF fighter squadrons, in addition to numerous
units of foreign air forces. The Hunter was
licence-built in Holland and Belgium; principal customers for British built
aircraft were India, Switzerland and Sweden. Hunter production, including
two-seat trainers, was 1972 aircraft and over 500 were subsequently rebuilt for
The origins of the Hunter trace back to the Hawker Sea Hawk straight-wing carrier-based fighter. Designing to the Air Ministry Specification E.38/46 Sydney Camm created the Hawker P.1052 which was essentially a Sea Hawk with a 350 swept wing. The P.1052 first flew in 1948 and although it showed promise it was not developed into a production aircraft. Hawker converted the second P.1052 prototype into the Hawker P.1081 with swept tail-planes, a redesigned fuselage and a single jet exhaust at the rear. First flown on the 19th June 1950 the P.1081 showed promise but it was not developed into production and in fact this sole prototype was lost in a crash in 1951. [photograph left - 5 Hunters in close formation @ RAF Cottesmore 2001]
In 1946 the Air Ministry issued Specification F.43/46 for a daytime jet-powered interceptor. Camm took the basic P.1052 design and reworked it so it was now powered by the Avon instead of the Sea Hawk’s Nene engine. March 1948 saw the Air Ministry issue Specification F.3/48 to cover additional development. Initially fitted with a single air intake in the nose and a T-tail, the intakes were moved to the wing roots, to make room for weapons and radar in the nose, and a more conventional tail arrangement was devised as a result of stability concerns. The first prototype P.1067 (WB188 - see below) first flew from MoD Boscombe Down on the 20th July 1951, powered by a Rolls Royce AJ.65 (Avon 103) engine from an English Electric Canberra bomber and in April 1952 it went through the 'sound barrier' for the first time. The second prototype, which first flew on the 5th May 1952, was fitted with production avionics, armament, and an Avon 107 power-plant while the third prototype was fitted with an Metrovick F.9 (Armstrong-Siddeley Sapphire) and flew for the first time flew on the 30th November 1952. Fears that the Korean War might escalate into a much wider conflict led to the accelerated development of two swept-wing fighters, the Hunter and the Supermarine Swift to replace the Gloster Meteor in the air defence role.
WT651 was first flown on the 23rd September 1954 and delivered to 222 Squadron at RAF Leuchars on the 21st October 1954. In addition to serving with 222 Squadron, WT651 served with 233 and 229 OCU [Operational Conversion Unit] before becoming an instructional airframe on the 22nd November 1957 with 8 SOTT Weeton (later 4 SOTT St.Athan and 1 SOTT Halton). WT651 was also used as a gate guard at RAF Credenhill, Hereford (with F.1 WT612) and finally as the gate guardian at ROC HQ Church Lawford from the 23rd January 1984 before arriving at the museum in December 1991. In the photograph WT651 is painted in the colours of 222 Squadron.
Hawker Hunter F.1 (WT619) [@ Manchester Museum of Science & Technology]
The Hunter was a conventional all-metal monoplane with a fuselage of monocoque construction and the pilot sat on a Martin-Baker 2H or 3H ejector seat while the two-seat trainer version used the Mk.4H ejection seats. Ordered into production in March 1950 by the Ministry of Supply Hawker initially received an order for 400 units, split equally between Sapphire and Avon powered units. The Hunter F.l (139 built), which first flew on the 16th March 1953 powered by an Avon 113 engine, entered service in July 1954 replacing the Meteor F.8s of 43 Squadron. The first 20 F.1s can be considered as a pre-production series since they featured a number of "one-off" modifications such as blown flaps and area ruled fuselage. Unfortunately the variant suffered from engine surge problems during high-altitude gun firing trials.
WT619 first flew on the 28th July 1954 and is one of the oldest Hawker Hunter survivors. Delivered to the RAF on the 13th September 1954 and finally an instructional airframe on the 22nd November 1957. Large areas of the aircraft's skin have been removed to reveal the construction underneath, which used to give visitors an idea of the methods used in building a 1950s jet fighter. WT619 is no longer at the Manchester Museum of Science and Technology.
Hawker Hunter F.3 (WB188) [@ RAF Tangmere]
Powered by the Avon 115 (later the Avon 21) the F.4 (349 built) replaced the F.1 and flew for the first time on the 20th October 1954. Entering RAF service with 54 Squadron in March 1955 (replacing their F.1s) the F.4 had additional fuel bladders in the wings and provision for under-wing fuel tanks to address the crucial problem of lack of range. Also included were blisters under the nose for ammunition links. Hunters were increasingly being used to replace the Canadair built F-86E Sabres, de Havilland Vampires and Venoms of Fighter Command and the 2nd Tactical Air Force in Germany and by 1957 no less than 19 squadrons operated Hunters.
WB188 was the very first Hawker Hunter, prototype P.1067, and was the actual plane in which Hawker's Chief Test Pilot, Squadron Leader Neville Duke, flew to secure his world air speed record of 727 mph on the 7th September 1953. Duke took off from RAF Tangmere along a course between Bognor and Littlehampton to break the record. This unique aircraft was ordered in June 1948 and first flew on the 20th July 1951. In early 1953, WB188 was fitted with side-mounted airbrakes, extra fuel tanks in the wings and a new reheated version of the Avon engine and hence became known as the one-off Hunter F.3 for the record attempt. However the record stood for less than three weeks before being broken by an RAF Supermarine Swift on 25th September 1953. One month later the flying career of WB188 ended when WB188 was transferred to RAF Halton as an instructional airframe. Later employed as the gate guardian at RAF Melksham from 1961 to 1964 and then displayed at a museum at RAF Colerne. In 1975 WB188 was moved to the RAF museum at Cosford and since September 1992 WB188 has been on loan to the museum at RAF Tangmere.
Hawker Hunter F.4 (ID-46) [@ Koninklijk Leger Museum, Brussels]
ID-46 was built as an F.4 under licence by Avions-Fairey of Belgium during 1956 and entered service with 7 Squadron of 7 Wing of the Belgium Air Force in January 1957. Unfortunately on the 13th June 1957 ID-46 suffered major damage in a crash with the result that ID-46 was subsequently, after repair, assigned to the Technical School at Saffraanberg as a ground instructional airframe. Presented to the Koninklijk Leger Museum, Brussels, during March 1960 ID-46 underwent restoration during 1977 and was painted in the livery of a Red Devils F.6 (IF-70).
Hawker Hunter F.5 (WP190) [@ RAF Tangmere]
Meanwhile working in parallel Hawker developed the Hunter F.2 (45 built), similar to the F.1, and the F.5 (105 built), similar to the F.4), variants which were powered by the Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire engine. The F.2 entered RAF service November 1954 with 257 Squadron while the F.5 not only entered service before the F.4 with 263 Squadron but it was the first variant to experience active service. It was used against ground targets in Egypt during the Suez campaign with no loses; however, two were destroyed on the ground at Cyprus by EOKA terrorists. Although the Sapphire did not suffer from the flameout problems of the Avon and had better fuel economy the RAF still elected to persevere with the Avon in order to simplify supply and maintenance since the same engine was also used by the Canberra bomber.
One of only two surviving F.5s, WP190 entered RAF service with 1 Squadron at RAF Tangmere on the 22nd July 1955. When the Suez crisis erupted in August 1956 WP190 was deployed to Cyprus for five months with a Tangmere Wing of 25 Hunters for air defence duties. From July 1958 the F.5s of 1 Squadron's were replaced by Hunter F.6s and so WP190 was allocated as an instructional airframe to RAF Bircham Newton on the 18th August 1958. In 1974 WP190 became the gate guardian at RAF Stanbridge and for a brief period masqueraded as WP180 (an aircraft destroyed on the ground by EOKA terrorists during the Suez Crisis). Sold on the 13th February 1994 into private ownership WP190 was eventually gifted to the Tangmere Military Aviation Museum Trust on 5th June 2002.
Hawker Hunter F.6A (XE627) [@ RAF Duxford]
To solve the problem with surging and flameout problems Rolls Royce fitted the Avon power-plant with a new automatic fuel system and redesigned compressor. So in 1953 Hawker equipped the Hunter with the new Avon 203 turbojet engine and this variant, the F.6 (384) built, flew for the first time on the 22nd January 1954 with deliveries beginning in 1956. It had a new wing with a leading edge "dogtooth" and four hard-points and an all-moving tail-plane on later aircraft while the F.6A version had the strengthened wings of the Hunter FGA.9 ground-attack fighter, 230 gal under-wing tanks and brake parachutes. F.6s could also scramble more quickly as they used an AVPIN starter system enabling quicker engine spool-up than the cartridge-started early variants. With a better performance at altitude the Hunter was now able to hold its own with most of its contemporaries and could intercept bombers such as the B.45 and Canberra. However a new generation of aircraft were becoming available such as the RAF’s V-bombers and these could climb above a Hunter's reach as well more advanced fighters such as the American's F.100 which could also out-perform a Hunter. The definitive F.6 subsequently equipped 15 squadrons of RAF Fighter Command and was retired from its fighter role in the RAF in 1963 when it was replaced by the English Electric Lightning.
In the photograph XE627 is in the markings of 65 Squadron with which it served at RAF Duxford in the late 1950's. Delivered to 45MU on the 20th July 1956 XE627 was briefly allocated to 92 Squadron before joining 65 Squadron at Duxford two months later. XE627 later served briefly with 1 and 54 Squadron before joining 229 OCU. In November 1975 XE627 arrived at 1 Tactical Weapons Unit (TWU), RAF Bawdry, before retirement in the early 1980s. XE627 was acquired by the museum in 1987.
Hawker Hunter F.6A (XF382) [@ Midlands Air Museum]
Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft Ltd built XF382 at Coventry in 1956 and was supplied to the RAF under the United States Military Aid Programme, who financed accelerated production of selected post-war jets to re-equip European Air Forces who were unable to finance these projects alone. Delivered to 5 MU at RAF Kemble on 28th August 1956, XF382's last flight was on 10th July 1986 having complete 3729.40 hours. Acquired by the museum in 1987 XF382 is displayed in the first photograph in the colours of 1 TWU/234 Squadron as XF382 was in 1976 and in the bottom photograph XF382 is displayed in the colours of 229 OCU . XF382 also served with 92 (RAF Linton-on-Ouse), 63 (RAF Waterbeach), 65 (RAF Duxford) and 79 (RAF Brawdy) Squadrons. XF382 has an unusual nose - the starboard side has a camera fitting - the legend being that a small number of Hunters were used in anti-drug-smuggling operations in support of the Welsh police?
Hawker Hunter F.6A (XG172) [@ City of Norwich Aviation Museum]
First flown on the 27th August 1956 and delivered for RAF service to 19 Squadron on the 19th September 1956 XG172 went on to serve with 263 Squadrons, then 229 OCU and 1 TWU before retirement to the Trade Management Training Squadron at RAF Scampton. In the photograph XG172 is painted in the colours of XG168, an FR.10 variant of 79 Shadow Squadron, 229 OCU based RAF Chivenor in 1965. [XG168 first flew on the 2nd April 1957 and was eventually delivered to the Royal Jordanian Air Force as 852 on the 22nd March 1972 before delivery to the Royal Air Force of Oman as 852 in 1975. XG168 is stored at Seeb, Oman.]
The single seat FGA.9 was a development of the F.6 but optimised for the ground-attack role while the FR.10 was another F.6 conversion but was optimised for the fighter-reconnaissance role and was used as a replacement for the Supermarine Swift FR.5’s. In fact any retired F.6s was converted into the FGA.9 standard. This variant had a further strengthened wing, 230 gallon external fuel tanks (first tested by Hawkers back on the F.4 but only now accepted by the Air Staff), greater weapons capability and also included the T.7's brake parachute. A total of 129 Hunter FGA.9 aircraft served with the RAF which included 36 interim conversions. The primary weapons of the FGA.9, to supplement the four 30mm cannon of the F.6, were 3" (76mm) rockets, 12 of which could be carried under each wing. Alternative loads included 1000 lb bombs, rocket pods and Napalm tanks. The first conversion flew in July 1959 and the type entered RAF service from January 1960 with 8 Squadron in January and saw front-line use to 1971. By 1970 the FGA.9 and FR.10 were leaving service and being replaced by a mixture of Blackburn Buccaneers, McDonnell-Douglas Phantoms IIs and Harriers. The F.6, F.6A and FGA.9 continued in service with the RAF at the Tactical Weapons Unit at RAF Brawdy in South Wales and later at RAF Chivenor in Devon and remained in service until shortly after the Hawk T.1 entered service in the mid-1970s.
Hawker Hunter F.6/FGA.9 (XG154) [@ RAF Hendon]
A number of trainer variants were also produced. The T.7 was a two-seat trainer built for the RAF with a side by side seating nose section replaced the single seat nose while the T.7A was modified with the Integrated Flight Instrumentation System (IFIS) and used by the RAF as a Blackburn Buccaneer conversion training aircraft. Based on the F.4 and not the F.6 the prototype T.7 flew for the first time on the 8th July 1955 and appeared at the 1955 Farnborough show two months later. The first production T.7 was XL580 and the variant entered RAF service with 229 OCU (Operational Conversion Unit), Chivenor in July 1958. From 1957 a total of 45 Hunter T.7s were built by Hawkers for the RAF and 6 Hunter F.4 airframes were converted to T.7 specification in 1958 and 1959.
Ordered from Hawkers as an F.6 with a Rolls Royce Avon 203 engine, XG154 was in fact built by Armstrong-Whitworth Aircraft Ltd at Coventry as part of their first production batch of F.6 aircraft. First flown on the 13th June 1956 XG154 was delivered to 19 MU at St Athan on the 26th October 1956 and entered service with 66 Squadron, Linton-on-Ouse, on the 27th November 1956. At this time the squadron was in the process of converting from the Hunter F.4. In 1959 XG154 was modified to the interim FGA.9 standard by the RAF and a Hawkers working party (CWP) at Horsham St Faith, Norfolk. Initially retaining the Avon 203 engine, XG154 returned to Hawkers for full conversion to FGA.9 standard in 1960, the Avon 207 now replacing the 203 engine. XG154 went on to serve with 43 and 208 Squadrons from June 1960 to 1967 in the Near East Air Force. In early 1964 XG154 spent some time with the Fleet Air Arm on naval co-operation with aircraft carrier HMS Eagle. Later on XG154 served again with 208 Squadron, 229 OCU and 1 Tactical Weapons Unit (TWU). For a short time in late 1976 XG154 joined the Fleet Air Arm at RNAS Brawdy before returning to RAF service. On the 25th July 1984 XG514 participated in the special final sortie of single-seat Hunters in RAF service, which included nine aircraft of 5 FGA9s and 4 F6s, which give displays at Chivenor and Brawdy. On the following day XG154 went to St Athan for long term storage (together with the other remaining single-seat RAF Hunters). This was XG154s last flight before final retirement on the 17th November 1989 to the RAF Museum.
Hawker Hunter F.6/FR.10 (XF426) [@ RAF Hendon]
The Hunter T.8, a T.7 with an arrestor hook fitted (for airfield use only), series of trainers were used by Royal Navy in various roles, for example, the T.8B with TACAN radio-navigation system and IFIS fitted bit with the cannon and ranging radar removed was used as a Blackburn Buccaneer conversion training aircraft. A small number of T.8Cs were transferred to the RAF with the loss of the Royal Navy's carrier-borne Buccaneers in 1978 and these continued in use with RAF Buccaneer squadrons until that aircraft's retirement in 1993.
XF426 was built as an F.6 and delivered to the 5MU on the 1st February 1957. Immediately placed into storage XF426 briefly saw service with 208 Squadron in Cyprus. Returned to Hawkers in 1960 for conversion to FR.10 standard XF426 was delivered on the 24th January 1961 back to RAF service. Until March 1972 XF426 served with 2 Squadron and then with 229 OCU. XF426 was then presented to the Royal Jordanian Air Force and given the new serial 853. During 1975 XF426 was gifted to the Sultan of Oman's Air Force (later Royal Air Force of Oman) by the King of Jordan and soon put to work dealing with rebels in the Dhofar region. By 1993 XF426 had been retired and in 2003 RAFO donated XF426 to the museum.
Hawker Hunter F.6A (XG152) [@ Luftwaffenmuseum der Bundeswehr, Berlin]
The history of XG152 is rather vague but it appears that XG152 was delivered to the RAF on the 26th October 1956 and entered service with 19 Squadron. The Squadron operated Hunters from 1956 to late 1962 when it converted to the English Electric Lightning and moved to RAF Gütersloh. At this point it appears that XG152 transferred to 229 OCU as 8843M to be used as an instructional airframe. In the photograph XG152 is in the colours and markings of 4 Squadron RAF but there is no evidence to suggest that XG152 ever served with this Squadron.
Hawker Hunter T.7 (XL572) [@ RAF Elvington]
From 1979 some T.8s were given a Sea Harrier's nose and fitted with the Sea Harrier's Blue Fox radar. This variant, the T.8M, was used to train Sea Harrier pilots for the then new Sea Harrier FRS.1. Both of the two-seat trainer versions of the Hunter remained in use for training and secondary roles with the RAF and Royal Navy until the early 1990.
First flown on the 2nd April 1958, XL572 was delivered on the 1st July 1958 to 229 Operational Conversion Unit at RAF Chivenor. In 1959 while being piloted by a student pilot XL572 entered an inverted spin. The student ejected from this difficult to recover from manoeuvre and was unfortunately killed. However the instructor pilot managed to regain control and landed safely. In 1994 XL572 was delivered to the museum and in the photograph XL572 is painted to represent XL571, which was the leading aircraft in the Blue Diamonds formation team based at RAF Leconfield in the early 1960s.
Hawker Hunter T.7 (XL569) [@ East Midlands Aeropark]
The GA.11 was a single-seat weapons training variant for the Royal Navy. Forty ex-RAF Hunter F.4s were converted into the Hunter GA.11 standard by the fitting of an arrester hook and a Harley light while the PR.11A was a single-seat reconnaissance variant with the Harley light being replaced by nose cameras. The GA.11s were used for mock attacks against Royal Navy warships, the light in the nose being used to initially train gunners in how to track high speed aircraft, while the PR.11A were mostly operated by the civilian Fleet Requirements and Air Direction Unit (FRADU).
First flew on 3rd March 1958 XL569 entered RAF service on the 1st July 1958. XL569 saw service with 12, 15, and 216 Squadron and 237 and 229 OCU. At the end of its flying career XL569 was maintained in flying order at the Royal Air Force Technical School at RAF Cosford, at RAF Scampton and finally at RAF Abingdon from where it was purchased by the Aeropark Volunteers Association.
Hawker Hunter T.8/T.8M (XL580) [@ Fleet Air Arm Museum]
A one-off T.12 prototype was built to train BAC TSR.2 crews but with that aircraft's cancellation the T.12 was dropped. The Royal Aircraft Establishment used the T.12 for a variety of purposes including fly-by-wire developments and aerial surveys.
XL580 was the first T.8 to be built for the Royal Navy and first flew on the 30th May 1958. Delivered to 764 NAS on the 30th July 1958 XL580 was sent in July 1980 to BAe, Brough, for conversion to T.8M standard. Returned to 899NAS at RNAS Yeovilton on the 7th August 1981 XL580 was withdrawn from auction by the MOD on the 21st November 1994 and placed on loan to the Fleet Air Arm Musuem.
In December 2006 the Hunter re-entered RAF service when two ex-Swiss examples were leased from a private operator to act as targets for a surface to air missile program and were allocated RAF serials ZZ190 and ZZ191. This was followed by a two-seat aircraft in April 2007 which reverted to its original RAF serial XF995. A number of aerobatic teams operated the Hunter, most famously 111 Squadron's 'Black Arrows' and 92 Squadron's 'Blue Diamonds'. The Black Arrows amazed the aviation world in 1958 by looping 22 Hunters in formation at Farnborough, a feat never equalled or beaten since.
The Hunter also enjoyed considerable success in the export market and a brief list is shown below.
F.50 (120 built), an export version of the F.4 fighter for Sweden.
F.51(30 built), an export version of the F.4 fighter for Denmark.
Hawker Hunter F.51 (E-409) [@ City of Norwich Aviation Museum]
Delivered to Vaerlose, Denmark, to serve with Esk 724 in August 1956, E-409 was built for the Royal Danish Air Force and first flew in the previous March. In December 1975 E-409 was bought back by Hawker Siddeley at Dunsfold and in 1982 was disposed of to the South Wales Preservation Society before moving to the museum in August 1995. In the photograph E-409 is painted to represent XE683, a 74 Squadron F.4, which was based at RAF Horsham St. Faith around 1957 and deliverd for RAF service on the 20th July 1955.
Hawker Hunter F.51 (E-425) [@ Midland Air Museum]
E-425 is an ex-Danish Hunter and in the top photograph E-425 is painted black as “XG190” of the famous "Black Arrows" Aerobatic Team, 111 Squadron. The Black Arrows amazed the aviation world in 1958 by looping 22 Hunters in formation at Farnborough - a feat never equalled or beaten since! No 111 Squadron was the premier team until 1961 when No 92 Squadron, The Blue Diamonds, carried on the tradition of the Black Arrows, introducing some new formations and flying 16 blue-painted Hunters. In 1960 and 1961 this 16 aircraft formation was at times split into seven and nine, so that one or other of the formations was always in front of the audience, a principle retained by the Red Arrows on a smaller scale today. In fact the “Red Arrows” name comes “Red” for the colour of the aircraft and “Arrows” in memory of the famous Black Arrows. However, it is a pity that E-425 is not painted in her correct Royal Danish Air Force markings and the original XG190 saved in a museum. In 2007 E-425 was repainted as an Royal Aircraft Establishment "Raspberry Ripple" aircraft and sold to the Solway Aviation Museum.
F.52 (16 built), an export version of the F.4 fighter for Peru.
F.56 (160 built), an export version of the F.6 fighter for India.
F.58 (160 built), an export version of the F.6 fighter for Switzerland.
Hawker Hunter F.58 (J-4058) [@ RAF Waddington 2004]
Built by Hawker at Kingston-upon-Thames J-4058 first flew at Dunsfold on the 25th June 1959 and was delivered to Emmen on the 14th August 1959. J-4058 entered service with 15 Squadron of the Swiss Air Force (SAF) on the 31st August 1959. After retirement from the SAF J-4058 was acquired by Hawker Hunter Aviation (HHA), RAF Scampton, through The Old Flying Machine Company along with 11 other ex-Swiss F.58s and two ex-RAF T.8s. They were all low-hours airframes and had been maintained in superb condition. Having lost its civilian identity J-4058 as become once more a military aircraft and is operated under COMA (Civil Owned Military Aircraft) regulations. ZZ191 (as she now is) is flown by FR Aviation pilots on defence simulation and trials tasks. HHA have been awarded AvP67 status to undertake this kind of work on behalf of the MoD and claims to be the Europe's largest commercial operator of "legacy" fast jet aircraft. As well as its Hunters it also has an ex-German air force Sukhoi Su-22 in airworthy condition and an ex-RAF Blackburn Buccaneer is close to being returned to flying status.
Hawker Hunter F.58 (J-4091) [@ RAF Bruntingthorpe]
Built by Hawker at Kingston-upon-Thames J-4091 first flew at Dunsfold on the 21st December 1959 and was delivered to Emmen on the 22nd January 1960. J-4091 entered service with the Swish Air Force on the 11th February 1960 and served with 4, 7 and 15 Squadrons before retirement on the 9th December 1994. In the following July J-4091 arrived at RAF Bruntingthorpe.
Hawker Hunter F.58 (J-4099) [@ Musée de l'Air et de l'Espace, Paris - Le Bourget]
F.60, an export version of the F.6 fighter for Saudi Arabia.
FGA.56A, an export version of the FGA.9 ground-attack fighter for India.
FGA.57, an export version of the FGA.9 ground-attack fighter for Kuwait.
FGA.58A, an export version of the FGA.9 ground-attack fighter for Switzerland
FGA.59, an export version of the FGA.9 ground-attack fighter for Iraq.
FGA.70, an export version of the FGA.9 ground-attack fighter for Lebanon.
FGA.71, an export version of the FGA.9 ground-attack fighter for Chile.
FGA.73, an export version of the FGA.9 ground-attack fighter for Jordan.
FGA.74, an export version of the FGA.9 ground-attack fighter for Singapore.
FGA.76, an export version of the FGA.9 ground-attack fighter for Abu Dhabi.
FGA.78, an export version of the FGA.9 ground-attack fighter for Qatar.
Hawker Hunter FGA.78 (N-268) [@ RAF Elvington]
Originally built under licence in Holland as an F.6, N-268 served with the Royal Dutch Air Force before conversion to an FGA.78. N-268 then served with the Qatar Air Force for ten years before coming to the museum in 1992. In the photograph N-268 is in the colours of the Royal Dutch Air Force.
FGA.80, an export version of the FGA.9 ground-attack fighter for Kenya.
FR.71, an export version of the FR.10 reconnaissance aircraft for Chile.
FR 74, an export version of the FR.10 reconnaissance aircraft for Singapore.
FR 76, an export version of the FR.10 reconnaissance aircraft for Abu Dhabi.
T.53, an export version of the T.7 trainer for Denmark.
T.62, an export version of the T.7 trainer for Peru.
T.66, T.66D and T.66E, an export version of the T.7 trainer for India.
T.66A, a composite Hunter which was built from a damaged Belgian F.6 and a 2-seat nose. Used as a demonstration aircraft and was later sold to Chile as a T.72.
T 66B, an export version of the T.7 trainer for Jordan.
T.66C an export version of the T.7 trainer for Lebanon.
T.67, an export version of the T.7 trainer for Kuwait.
T.68 an export version of the T.7 trainer for Switzerland.
T.69, an export version of the T.7 trainer for Iraq.
T.70, two ex-RAF Hunter T.7s sold to Saudi Arabia.
T.72, an export version of the T.7 trainer for Chile.
T.75, an export version of the T.7 trainer for Singapore
T.77, an export version of the T.7 trainer for Abu Dhabi.
T.79, an export version of the T.7 trainer for Qatar.
T.81, an export version of the T.7 trainer for Kenya.